Project Management Office (PMO) Training
The Project Management Office (PMO) is one of the fastest emerging organizational structures across all industries. The courses offered by PMO Advisory focus on the challenges that are important to effectively manage intense project environments and explore the best practices to improve communication, cut costs and optimize resource utilization. Our courses provide strategies and tactics to enable process improvement for a currently established Project Management Office.
- Gaining an indepth understanding of the services a well designed PMO should perform for the organization
- Understanding the challenges the PMO faces within their organization, and how to address them
- Learning how to evaluate key metrics of success for the PMO, and how to improve PMO performance
- Learning techniques to manage project portfolios more effectively
- Improving on risk management strategies and tactics for addressing risk
- Learning how leading companies operate their project management offices (PMOs), and which of their strategies and tactics may be right for their organization
We offer a range of discounts, especially for early registrants. Click here to learn more.
|Course Name||Hrs & PDU||Listed Fee||Next Class|
|Essentials: 1/2 Day Live Virtual||4||$199||Sep 14 (1-5 PM)|
|Essentials: 1 Day In Class||8||$650||Sep 12|
|Success for Practitioners||36||$3,699||Oct 31-Nov 4|
All courses, unless otherwise noted are delivered in the U.S. Eastern Time zone.
Click here to open the current calendar.
- Senior and Middle Project Directors with responsibility for the project management office, and PMO staff including Methodology Experts, Project Managers, and Project Coordinators
- Managers wishing to increase or update their knowledge of project management office functions and processes
- Anyone with an interest in improving PMO results within their organizations, and who would benefit from an understanding of the project management office
- Others directly involved in a Project Management Office, either as a project manager or as a staff member is a recommended prerequisite
- Course Overview – Detailed description about PMO Advisory’s course series
- Introduction – Free webinar providing an overview and earning 1 PDU
- Essentials – 1/2 day live virtual 1-day in-class seminar
- Successful PMOs for Practitioners – The first full course designed for project professionals working in or with PMOs
Since project management offices began to appear in organizations, academic researchers, project management practitioners, and their organizations have been asking how best to structure project management offices, along with what roles, functions and leadership styles should they adopt to provide maximum value.
High-performing Project Management Offices (PMOs) are more than three times as likely as their low-performing peers to reach their full potential in contributing business value to their organizations. In 2012, a survey from PMI (2013) showed that project management offices completed an average of US$100 million worth of projects. Additionally, they delivered around US$71 million in value by way of revenue increases and/or cost reductions. The problem is that less than 33% of PMOs reach the full potential which indicates a limited understanding of how they should be defined not only at the project, program and portfolio levels but also what they do, how they do it, and the configuration that optimally supports the organizational needs of today, and tomorrow.
PMO Advisory’s course series brings together the latest in academic research and best practices across the project, program and portfolio (strategic) areas into a comprehensive project management office framework that will allow the attendee to understand the building blocks of project, program and portfolio management, success factors, success criteria, evolution and types, and successful principles of business execution. Our advanced courses will further provide details on the assessment of the current PMO setups in terms of SWOT and then a roadmap to strategically design and implement an integrated approach to ensure alignment with organizational needs.
These multi-day courses are also designed to be hands-on, encompasses the day-to-day operational aspects of PMOs by detailing the challenges and best practices to improve communication and optimize resource utilization. Participants will learn how to prioritize projects, and monitor progress and budgets on a continual basis. You will take away key documents from the course that can be used immediately at your workplace to carrying out PMO strategic and operational reviews, as well as the day-to-day activities.
The table here provides a comparative overview of the courses in this series:
This course provides an introductory overview of the latest in academic research and professional best practices across the project, program and portfolio (strategic) areas in a PMO framework that will allow the attendees to understand the building blocks of project, program and portfolio management, success factors, success criteria, PMO types, and their evolution.
This course will also provide an overview of the PMO Certifications for all levels of project professionals, from team members participating to experts establishing PMOs.
Upon completion of this one hour webinar, participants will be able to:
- Understand project management office and its various organizational purposes
- Articulate the challenges and opportunities
- Describe the history and the evolutionary progress from the essential toward strategic
- Discover the power of the five rules of business execution
The target group for this course is anyone who is actively engaged in projects and/or curious about project management office, specifically:
- Project professionals who are working in organizations with an intense project environment
- Business and functional professionals who are stakeholders on projects working in a centralized project office environment
- Busy PMO administrators who are coordinating large numbers of projects
- Up and coming project professionals who want to sharpen their skills and knowledge of PMO
- This is an excellent introductory course for those who are considering the Project Management Office certifications.
Duration & PDUs
1 Hour; 1 PDU (0.25 Technical, 0.25 Leadership, 0.5 Strategic)
The purpose of the course is to provide participants with an understanding of the essential knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to be effective in their interactions with Project Management Offices. This includes a more in-depth discussion of project management office context, challenges, opportunities, metrics, maturity, and essential tools. The two essential courses, the 1/2 day live virtual and 1 day in-class, are based on the same core content. With the extra time, the one-day course will have more time for case studies, war stories, demonstrations of tools, and networking among the participants.
This course will also provide recommendations to further your career in PMO by pursuing one or more of its certifications.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe project management office, its challenges and opportunities
- Conduct table-top exercises to discuss strengths and weaknesses of their respective project offices
- Facilitate discussions in their organization about improving performance
- Apply ways to improve the overall project and business execution
The target group for this course is:
- Project professionals who are leading or managing projects in organizations with an intense project environment
- Business and functional professionals who are stakeholders on projects wanting to learn more about PMOs
- Busy PMO managers who are managing large numbers of projects who wish to improve the management of their project offices
- Ambitious up and coming project professionals who want to sharpen their project-related skills and knowledge
- This is also an excellent introductory course for those who are considering the Project Management Office certifications.
Duration & PDUs
Live Virtual: 4 Hour; 4 PDUs (2 Technical, 1 Leadership, 1 Strategic)
In-Class: 8 Hour; 8 PDUs (4 Technical, 2 Leadership, 2 Strategic)
Live Virtual: $199 ▪ In-Class: $699 ▪ Click here to see applicable discounts.
This is a comprehensive course designed for project professionals who already have hands-on experience working or leading project management offices. Unlike other courses on the market, this course has dual purposes:
- Provide hands-on knowledge, encompasses the day-to-day operational aspects of PMOs by detailing the challenges and best practices to improve communication and optimize resource utilization. Participants will learn how to lead their project offices, refine capabilities and processes, prioritize projects, and monitor progress and budgets on a continual basis. You will take away key documents from the course that can be used immediately at your workplace to carry out PMO strategic and operational reviews, as well as the day-to-day activities.
- Pass the AIPMO’s Practitioner Certificate ($299 additional fee). This is a new certification offered by Associate of International Project Management Officers dedicated to providing a rigorous global standard for project management office. The exam is typically given on Day 5.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the value of high performing project management offices
- Describe the different roles of PMOs in a single and networked context and across different levels of the organization
- Understand the similarities and differences of organizational project management maturity versus PMO maturity
- Hands-on experience on applying the PMO lifecycle using the detailed case study to walk through a real enterprise example
- Experience establishing mandate for implementations
- Identify the steps required to implement PMOs ranging from a single project based to enterprise-wide project management offices
- Learn new tools and techniques
The target groups for this course are:
- PMO Directors and Managers
- Project/program management professionals
- Consultants (involved in projects and/or organizational change)
- Project/program/portfolio managers with expertise in project management offices
- Experienced project management office core team members
- 1 year plus experience in project and/or program management
- 2 years plus as a PMO member or higher i.e., manager/director
- Ideally a formal PM certification such as PMP, PgMP, PfMP, PMI-ACP, PMI-RMP, Prince II or IPMA (Levels C or higher)
Duration & PDUs
In-Class: 4.5 Days (4 Days Mandatory, 1/2 Friday for review and AIPMO exam); 36 PDUs (20 Technical, 8 Leadership, 8 Strategic)
$3,699 for course ▪ $299 for AIPMO Practitioner Certificate
PMI, PfMP, PgMP, PMP, CAPM, PMI-RMP, PMI-PBA, PMI-ACP, PMI-SP, and PMI R.E.P are registered marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.